Introduction to the World of Biomedical I&E
Introduces the world of biomedical innovation and entrepreneurship. Topics covered include the link between ideas and intellectual property, innovating within institutions, unique challenges for life science innovators, iterative de-risking, the “fast fail,” and funding.
- Understand the connection between innovation and the creation and ownership of intellectual property within academia, industry and entrepreneurship.
- Understand the benefits and limitations of the patent system for the innovator and society.
- Understand the fundamentals of intellectual property and how they may impact learners’ participation in the E4B Program.
- Understand how an I&E mindset can be applied in different career paths (academia, industry, entrepreneurship) and the “rules of the game” for doing so.
- Understand the product development lifecycle and investor/funder motivations at each stage.
- Understand the personal and professional characteristics necessary for success in I&E (courtesy, grit, resilience, experimental mindset, self-efficacy, emotion management, growth mindset, ethical behavior/mindset).
- Identify how the E4B Program is relevant to reaching your personal and professional goals.
Dana Watt, PhD
Investment Associate at Ascension Ventures
E4B Course Taught: Introduction to the World of Biomedical I&E